Holy Trinity Abbey Church is part of our heritage here in Adare – we view it with pride and gratitude. There is no record of the precise date of the foundation, the only Trinitarian Abbey in Ireland, but sources suggest that it was established between 1230 and 1240. Dissolved in 1560’s, the Abbey eventually became a ruin.
The church was originally built in 1315 as an Augustinian Abbey by John Fitzthomas Fitzgerald, the first Earl of Kildare. It is also called the “Black Abbey” because the Augustinian monks of the time wore black habits.
John Wesley, Founder of the Methodist Church, visited this area on ten occasions between 1756 and 1778 and local tradition affirms that he preached under an ash tree near the ruins of the Franciscan Abbey on at least one of these occasions. The Church is on the Askeaton Road, Adare.