Did you know?
The Franciscan Friary
Situated on the Adare Manor Golf Course, the friary was founded in 1464 and while now in ruins, is in fact one of the most structurally complete Franciscan foundations in Ireland.
This freestanding circular-plan dovecote or columbarium was rebuilt c. 1850, incorporating fabric of an earlier structure, possibly dating from the mid fourteenth century.
The Augustinian Priory
The priory was founded by the Earls of Kildare in the early 14th century. It was renovated during the early part of the 19th century.
St. Nicholas Old Graveyard
Within the graveyard is the old parish church of St. Nicholas, built in the 13th century and then rebuilt in the 16th century.
Adare’s Thatched Cottages
The original thatched cottages were built in the 1820’s, and these were the homes of people employed on the Dunraven Estate.
The Desmond Castle
The Castle was built in the 13th Century and is located on the edge of the village of Adare
For more information on these and all historic sites in Adare click on: www.adarevillage.com/history/historyhistoric-sites/« Daily shuttle bus service opens for Limerick Greenway usersMore Historic Facts about Adare. »